Title: Leader of the Council
Party: Labour And Co-operative Party
Other councillors representing this Ward:
c/o Town Hall
Mobile: 07729 167084
Note : Tw: @cllrpetestweets
Crawley Borough Council is not responsible for the content of any external link
Peter was born in Crawley Hospital and went to school at Holy Trinity School, where he joined Labour while still a sixth former. He was elected onto Crawley Borough Council in 2010. Since becoming ward member for Northgate, Peter has delivered:
• Redevelopment of the derelict Barnfield Road Off-License
• Electronic signs and safety improvements for Woodfield Road
• Establishing ‘Northgate Matters’ and supporting their programme of events
• Forcing West Sussex to include additional parking and safety improvements in their expansion of Northgate Primary
• Stopping BT from removing the neighbourhood’s telephone boxes, including the classic red telephone box on Woodfield Road
• Gaining Northgate Avenue ‘Conservation Area’ status
• Delaying and opposing the loss of Northgate Surgery • Preventing predatory private developments
• Securing anti-flooding improvements
• Providing funding for Northgate-based community groups
• Improving lighting in locations which enhance community safety
• Allocating s106 contributions for forthcoming enhancements to local play areas and bus stops
Peter became Leader of Crawley Borough Council when Labour regained control in 2014, following two years leading the Labour Group in opposition, at 27 he was the youngest Labour council leader in the UK.
Away from the Town Hall, Peter has represented Crawley on regional and national bodies, such as the Local Enterprise Partnership, Sussex Police and Crime Panel (which replaced the Police Authority), Local Government Association and Gatwick Airport's Consultative Committee. In addition, He has served as a county councillor for Northgate and Three Bridges until deciding to stand down from the county council in 2017.
Outside of politics Peter works as a freelance researcher and enjoys a range of hobbies, including powerlifting and further learning.